Stress, busy lifestyle, increasing age and improper diet are some factors attributed to infertility in women. What supplements can help you conceive, especially if you have PCOS?
Well, let us introduce you to Myo-inositol. Myo-inositol is an essential vitamin that not only claims to boost your chances of a healthy pregnancy, but it also improves your reproductive health.
Let us break it down for you.
Myoinositol belongs to the inositol family. It is also referred to as Vitamin B8 even though it isn’t a B vitamin at all.
Well, Myoinositol is, in fact, carbohydrate (sugar) that also possesses antioxidant properties. It is like glucose, which is the chief source of energy for living beings. But Myoinositol has a different arrangement of atoms.
We all need small amounts of this ‘vitamin’ to function and stay healthy.  We find Myoinositol in foods such as fruits, beans, grains, corn and nuts. It is found in tissues of animals.
Myoinositol is found in all your cell membranes, with the highest concentration found in the heart and the brain. It plays a role in insulin signalling and may improve the body’s sensitivity to insulin. 
What does that mean in simple terms? And how does it work to ensure your fertility?
– Myoinositol helps the body process and utilize the natural insulin hormone
– This is turn results in healthy blood sugars
– A healthy blood insulin level ensures regular menstrual cycles, and healthy hormone balance
– A healthy hormonal balance is key to fertility
Myoinositol also helps your liver process and break down fats. Your muscles and nerves need these fats to function.
Myoinositol affects serotonin and dopamine (the happy hormones) in your brain.
PCOS, short for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, is a common health problem caused by an imbalance of reproductive hormones in the body. The hormonal imbalance creates problems in the ovaries. It stops eggs from developing and releasing during ovulation.
The main symptom of PCOS is missed, irregular or prolonged menstrual periods. This leads to infertility. In fact, PCOS is one of the most common causes of infertility in women. 
PCOS also causes small cysts (small fluid-filled sacs) in the ovaries.
– Thinning hair or female pattern baldness
– Excessive hair growth on the face and body
– Weight gain
– Mood changes, anxiety and depression
Women with PCOS are often insulin resistant. This can lead to problems in fertility, weight gain and irregular periods.
● Myoinositol helps your body use glucose for energy without using high levels of insulin. Thus it improves insulin sensitivity and reduces insulin levels
Women with PCOS have irregular or an absence of periods.
● Myo-inositol improves the function of the ovaries, resulting in more frequent ovulation. Myoinositol has been shown to improve the quality of eggs in women with PCOS. This is especially effective when it is combined with folic acid. 
Women with PCOS have high levels of ‘male’ hormones, including testosterone. This results in distressing symptoms such as hair loss, acne, excess hair on the face.
● Myo-inositol reduces testosterone levels and related symptoms
Women with PCOS sometimes struggle with anxiety, depression and mood swings
● Myoinositol boosts happy hormones- serotonin and dopamine
Women with PCOS are at risk for gestational diabetes in pregnancy
● Myoinositol, when taken throughout pregnancy, reduces the risk for gestational diabetes 
To treat polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), Myo-inositol is recommended between 200-4,000mg. Doctors prefer the more potent dose and it also seems more effective. To improve the treatment, doctors recommended it to be taken along with folic acid. 
Word of caution-Before starting to take myo inositol, please consult your doctor to understand the safety, compatibility and recommended dosage.- HERA
Myo-inositol plays a role in cell growth and can help improve egg quality. It leads to a better chance of achieving a healthy pregnancy. This is especially true for IVF treatments.
● Myo-inositol may cause a small degree of weight loss in women with PCOS 
● Myo-inositol improves blood lipids levels like cholesterol and promotes a healthy heart 
● Myo-inositol is also recommended for treating panic disorders 
Does myo-inositol have side-effects?
Myo-inositol is a very safe supplement. It’s side-effects are mostly mild gastrointestinal from high doses.  Side effects like nausea, stomach ache, tiredness and headache may occur with doses higher than 12g per day.
Despite the advances in medical science, PCOS continues to be a bit of a mystery syndrome. Now, Myo-inositol brings a ray of hope for women struggling with PCOS and fertility. Various studies have proven it to support healthy ovarian function. When choosing supplements that boost your fertility, it’s best to look for one that has well-researched ingredients. Check out HERA’s plan essentials with myoinositol to boost your fertility.